Urban Adventures was a unique and amazing experience that I don't think can be replicated by anyone. From the courtroom drama to the Aboriginal heritage walk, every single activity was full of things to learn about.
Technology of sound and music wasn't exactly something I expected to run into in the city as a group, but in the morning, there we were at the Alfred Brash Soundhouse. Creating, putting together and playing music is a joy to do, and it was made even more unique by the visit to the Soundhouse.
Then came the Aboriginal heritage walk, which led us to things we probably hadn't expected. Lemon-scented leaves, manhood rituals, even a cure for ant stings - we saw all of these and more. I had had a basic knowledge of Aboriginal history before, but after experiencing the walk, I learned about things that were true to both the past and present.
The Courtroom drama at the Old Melbourne Gaol was one of my favourite places, because I learned so much that no history books had included in their "Ned Kelly" sections. Many books I had read had skimmed over the details of the trial and how it went wrong, but the courtroom scene really went in quite deep. Another nice thing about it was that it was very interactive (especially the audience participation...).
Finally, the Eureka SkyDeck was simply indescribable. Being able to experience Melbourne from such a different perspective changed my whole view of the city. I had been in the CBD many times, but never from so high up, and never when the sun was setting, changing the whole atmosphere of Melbourne and its people. Creative writing seemed to come naturally to me in such a brilliant place, and it wasn't difficult to complete the set tasks.
I'm not quite sure if Urban Adventures could get any better in the coming years, but I'm sure it will, somehow.
No comments:
Post a Comment